Bank of Italy - home pageVai alla versione italiana Site Search
The Bank of Italy in pictures
Discover the €50 banknote
The new €50 banknote will start circulating on 4 April 2017. It is the fourth banknote of the Europa series and follows the new €5, €10 and €20 notes, which have already been issued. The new series includes new and enhanced security features which offer better protection against counterfeiting.
June 2017 - June 2016
- Euro area
Second quarter 2017 - First quarter 2017
- Euro area
date: 16 August 2017
ECB interest rates
As of 16 March 2016
- Main refinancing operations
All of the Bank of Italy’s Annual Reports are now online from its first financial year in 1894 to date. The first English translation dates from 1923.
In compliance with Ruling 216/2015 of Italy’s Constitutional Court, which declared unlawful the bringing forward of the deadline for terminating the redemption of lira banknotes from 28 February 2012 to 6 December 2011 (Article 6 of Decree Law 201/2011, converted into Law 214/2011), on 22 January 2016, the Bank of Italy began lira-euro exchange operations at its branches.
The Bank's geographical organization consists of Branches located in the regional capitals and in some provincial capitals. The Branches' activities relate to the State treasury service, banking and financial supervision, banknote circulation, payment system and economic analysis and statistical surveys at the local level.
The Bank of Italy shares its knowledge and experience with the central banks and financial authorities of the emerging countries, supplying staff training activities and technical consultancy.
By making its art collection available on its website the Bank of Italy offers the general public the opportunity to view and admire the most important works in its possession. The precious and varied collection has been built up over time through numerous purchases and today it covers a vast time span and many geographical areas.
- 18 August Publications Balance of payments and International investment position Rome
- 18 August Statistics General Government Gross Debt Rome
- 18 August Publications The Financial Market Rome
- 18 August Statistics Central Government Debt Rome
- 18 August Publications The Public Finances: Borrowing Requirement and Debt Rome
- 21 August Statistics Italy's international reserves and foreign currency liquidity Rome
- 28 August Statistics Italian contribution to euro-area monetary aggregates and Summary data on Monetary Financial Institutions resident in Italy Rome
- 31 August Statistics Ita-coin Rome
- 31 August Statistics Monthly Tables in Statistical Bulletin Rome