Born in Lecco in 1913. After specializing at the London School of Economics and the Institute of Bankers with a Stringher scholarship, in 1938 he joined the Bank of Italy in the Research Department. He was the Bank's representative in Paris from 1947 to 1964. In June 1964 he became head of the Research Department for international economics.
In 1967 he was made the Bank's Economic Adviser. In 1969 he was appointed Deputy Director General and in 1975 Director General. He resigned in 1976 to become Minister of Foreign Trade, a position he held for three years. He was subsequently Chairman first of Banco di Napoli and then of Credito Varesino. Died in 1990.