Bank of Italy, through its remote execution system REX, allows researchers to perform analysis on data collected for its purposes.
Available databases include:
- Survey of Industrial and Service Firms (since 1984)
- Business Outlook Survey of Industrial and Service Firms (since 1993)
- Survey on Inflation and Growth Expectations (since 1999)
- Italian Housing Market Survey Short-term Outlook (since 2009)
- Survey on cross-border transactions in services by non-financial and insurance firms - Direct Reporting (since 2013).
The system preserves individual data confidentiality. Users perform statistical and econometrical analysis without accessing microdata directly: after an authentication to the portal, the user will submit a job written in one of the supported programming languages and will subsequently download the output.
Authors who refer in their publications to results obtained with REX are required to adhere to the following example when citing the source both in data description and under charts and tables: "Source: Bank of Italy, name of microdata set used, [analysis reference period]”. Researchers may not involve the Bank of Italy in any way since they are entirely and exclusively responsible for the use of data.
It is possible to request a merge of data available in REX with other public data owned by the researcher by asking RemoteExecution@bancaditalia.it to define a dedicated dataset.
The same email is available for further info and assistance.