Bank of Italy - home pageVai alla versione italiana Site Search
The Bank in pictures
"The digital transformation of the retail payments ecosystem"
March 2018 - March 2017
- Euro area
Fourth quarter 2017 - Third quarter 2017
- Euro area
date: 19 April 2018
ECB interest rates
As of 16 March 2016
- Main refinancing operations
The Bank of Italy now publishes a list of FAQs in order to simplify and accelerate administrative procedures with regard to the authorization of new banks, new collective fund managers, new payment institutions and electronic money institutions.
As national supervisor, the Bank of Italy also provides services directly to the public: it handles complaints, runs the technical secretariats for the Banking and Financial Ombudsman and publishes information on individuals or companies not authorized to carry out banking or financial activities in Italy and other more general notices and communications.
FinTech is the abbreviation for Financial Technology, namely the application of technology to the delivery of financing, payment, investment and consulting services, which has become a powerful driver of innovation in the financial services market.
In compliance with Ruling 216/2015 of Italy’s Constitutional Court, which declared unlawful the bringing forward of the deadline for terminating the redemption of lira banknotes from 28 February 2012 to 6 December 2011 (Article 6 of Decree Law 201/2011, converted into Law 214/2011), on 22 January 2016, the Bank of Italy began lira-euro exchange operations at its branches.
The Bank's geographical organization consists of Branches located in the regional capitals and in some provincial capitals. The Branches' activities relate to the State treasury service, banking and financial supervision, banknote circulation, payment system and economic analysis and statistical surveys at the local level.
The Bank of Italy shares its knowledge and experience with the central banks and financial authorities of the emerging countries, supplying staff training activities and technical consultancy.
By making its art collection available on its website the Bank of Italy offers the general public the opportunity to view and admire the most important works in its possession. The precious and varied collection has been built up over time through numerous purchases and today it covers a vast time span and many geographical areas.
- 19 April Publications Balance of payments and International investment position Rome
- 20 April Statistics Italy - International tourism Rome
- 23 April Statistics Italy's international reserves and foreign currency liquidity Rome
- 24 April Statistics Bank Lending Survey (BLS): results for Italy Rome
- 27 April Publications Financial Stability Report Rome
- 27 April Statistics Italian contribution to euro-area monetary aggregates and Summary data on Monetary Financial Institutions resident in Italy Rome
- 27 April Press releases €-coin indicator Rome
- 30 April Statistics Banks and Financial Institutions: Financing and Funding by Sector and Geographical Area - Monthly Tables Rome
- 30 April Statistics Other financial corporations Rome