The Bank of Italy's BIRD system allows processing of data collected through its surveys, while protecting the confidentiality of the individual data.
Available databases include:
- Survey of Industrial and Service Firms (since 1984)
- Business Outlook Survey of Industrial and Service Firms (since 1993)
- Survey of expectations of inflation and growth (since 1999)
- Italian housing market survey short-term outlook (since 2009)
- Survey on cross-border transactions in services by non-financial and insurance firms - direct reporting (since 2013).
Users carry out their statistical and econometric analyses without having direct access to the micro data; they send an e-mail containing a program written in one of the prescribed languages and the system sends back an e-mail with the results of the calculations.